Thursday, September 11, 2008

Still livin'

I'm still breathing, barely. Into my second week of training, I'm doing fine. Lots to still learn, but I have the radio down pat and all the paper work. I'm still struggling with heavy weight, getting the litter into the van etc. But I'm getting better.

I met my new partner yesterday, he seems cool. I think we'll do fine. He hadn't a clue he was going to have a partner (change of schedules) but, oh well. He's a good looking kid, I pictured him with no teeth and gorky looking. Just goes to show you, never listen to people. He's also not wimpy either, which would come in handy with the litter transfers:)

Here's a good luck to all of you in "IKE'S" path! I hope you all fair well!

Stay safe folks!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how many people don't come as advertised...

Good luck with the new job. I know a lot of ED staff tend to be a little rough on the transport guys... Don't let 'em get to you!

yanub said...

When you were first telling us about this job, I hadn't fully realized what sort of commitment you were making. I am stunned, now that I understand. Be careful with yourself, OK?

We are inland of Ike, and the way they are now projecting Ike to come ashore near Port Lavaca and then take a sudden right toward Kentucky makes me wonder how anyone is expected to know if they are in the hurricane's path! Crazy stuff, I tell you. The entire population of the Texas coast can't evacuate. That's too many people, along too long a stretch. And it's mostly just the barrier islands and Houston that are up the creek without a paddle during a hurricane, so I wish the post-Katrina panic would stop. Why has over-reaction become the watchword of the US? Why do I even bother to ask that question on this anniversary? I liked us better when we just took crisis in stride.

JihadGene said...

Keep it up! God bless Texas!

Evil Transport Lady said...

Yanub, I hear ya!

Thanks guys:)

pinky said...

What is a litter transfer? Don't know the lingo.

Stacy said...

maybe it will work out wihth the new partner

Evil Transport Lady said...

Pinky-it's a stretcher or gurney ambulances use. A bitch and a half with a 200lb person on it:( ( if a person is over 250lbs we can call for a "lift assist, which means extra help)

Iesp- thanks I can't wait:)

Anonymous said...

I would so talk to you on the radio and be your favorite dispatcher ;) ....as long as you remember to lift properly EVERY TIME (yep, that 1 time I didn't tore my lat about 10 years ago when I still worked as a paramedic) you will be able to lift unreal amounts. Just takes a little getting used to!!!! Muah!!!