Thursday, October 9, 2008

CNA's from stupidville, and other crap.

Ok first off, to all the CNAs out there, I know you have a shitty job and your work day must suck monkey balls. That being said, there are a few good CNAs out there, I've met a sparse few, so don't kill me. I'm going to give a few pointers to the ones who should just quit.

1.) O2 is another way of saying "oxygen".
2.) You know those funny looking tubes in the old guys' nose? Connected to a tank? Those tubes bring O2 to the guy. He needs that to LIVE. So get the damn nurse to hook him up if you don't know how to work that "machine".
3.) We don't care how busy you are, get off your (personal) cell phone and help us move the patient to their bed.
4.) When we ask for help moving the patient, don't roll your fuckin' eyes.
5.) When a patient has a cath. and bag, don't upend the damn thing, that can be freakin' painful.
6.) When we say the bed needs to go UP, the bed needs to go UP. We will not slide a (250lb) patient on the floor level.
7.) Personal hygiene goes a long way, if you don't have teeth and smell like death, you will not be respected.
8.) Have a care when touching a patient, many are in PAIN. Tugging roughly on arms and legs to straighten a patient is just plain sadistic. And stupid.
9.) We don't care how many patients you have to care for. We are only interested in the care for the one we are transporting.
10.) NO MATTER HOW BAD THE PATIENT IS, DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT THEM, IN FRONT OF THEM! DO NOT TALK ABOUT THEIR MEDICAL CONDITION IN FRONT OF THEM! SHIT! DON'T TALK ABOUT THEM PERIOD! OR FOR THAT MATTER, DON'T MAKE FUN OF THEM!!!!!!!!!

Ok kiddies remember, that's for the bad CNAs out there, there are many sweethearts working the trenches, but sadly they are few and far between.

Next up, possible combative patients, and how to handle them;)

Stay safe everybody!

15 comments:

Deech said...

There are always going to be those that just don't get it. You are just trying to do your job. They are not being part of the solution, they are being part of the problem...

And we wonder why people go postal.

JihadGene said...

There's a world wide web of monkey ball suckers out there. I voted for some of them.

Margaret said...

LOL, I wasn't allowed (by the elderly couple that I cared for) to go and get my CNA license. But towards the end they needed to hire on three CNA's to work the night shifts.

I knew more than their stupid asses did!! One OD'd the Mrs. on Haldol and had her get all tardive on me. Another broke the Mr's rib not using the gait belt correctly. Another ended up being a closet junkie and was tripping out on the MS cotin and liquid Roxanol.

I could have recruited caretakers from the aisle of Walmart and had better care.

Cheesy said...

Um.. whats a CNA?
And how do I NOT become one??

Evil Transport Lady said...

A Nursing assistant.......LOL

Margaret! Holy shit!

Berserk said...

I'm aware that theoretically there has to be some good CNAs. My experience has led me to wonder if a criminal record is a prerequisite to the job, though.

david mcmahon said...

Came here from Epijunky. Your blog name is great!!

Evil Transport Lady said...

Welcome David:)

Cath said...

As a registered nurse I can so ID with that. And the sentiment that good ones exist and do the frontline work too. Just not always on my shift.

Great post.
Over from David's. Congrats on POTD.

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Congrats on your Post of the Day award! You deserve it. This was a sad-but-true post I've observed way too many times when spending time with my elderly parents in our hospitals. I'm glad there on caring people like you around to 'call' them on it!

Sandi McBride said...

And of course there are a few CNA's out there who don't realize that it stands for Certified Nursing ASSISTANT...they'r not the nurse or the doctor, so don't go changing orders!
Congratulations on Post of the Day mention from David at Authorblog!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Oh dear lord! I am here from David's POTD and you have severly freaked me out. A lot of the acrynms are over my head...I just got that there are some seriously bad 'nurses?' out there.

I am an ex-nurse, trained in the fifties here in England when we were ruled by a Matron with a rod of iron.Pay was minimal, hours long but we did the job 'cos we loved it. Oh boy...that's my next post...how far have we come from those ideals.
And do we have cruelty here on such a scale? Great post, but scarey.

Epijunky said...

YAY :) Congrats on your Post of the Day mention at David's blog.

And this post was excellent. I've had EVERY single one of these happen to me at least twenty times.

Evil Transport Lady said...

Wow I got post of the day?!!!

Thanks David!

And welcome all new readers!!!

Leslie: said...

Wow! How could any CNA that treats a patient or senior nurse like that still be employed???