Sunday, October 19, 2008

Deliverance and fart noises.

Yesterday we had a run to a residence for a trip to hospice. We groaned, hospice runs are hard, but even worse is the fact we had to go to the "boonies" to get the patient. So we convinced a supervisor to let us borrow a GPS from one of the rigs, and off we went. And went, and went. Up into the rocky hills, north of my town. Onto a completely dirt and gravel road, past a trailer with a horse in the front yard AND three high tower power lines. I thank the gods my partner (the cutie) was with me. He can drive anywhere. BUT I couldn't shake the feeling we could hear the music from "Deliverance" playing somewhere. AND that I should have been armed;) In time we get there and WOW even though it was a mobile home, it was very nice and well kept. And the patient's family was great. But the patient was nearing the end, COPD, CHF were taking their toll, and at 57 it didn't seem fair. We made it back pretty fast, just a trip down a big highway and there we are. His wife was a dream, making the trip with bravery. I hope he goes fast and easy.

After a hospice run, we need a few minutes to chill, even if it's just to grab a drink. We did, after a few we went in again for a dialysis pick up. We go up and a very strange scene welcomed us, the nurses are running around laughing their asses off. So we are looking at them and thinking, "It's the end of their day, maybe they just need some fresh air". Nope, one of the middle aged nurses runs up behind my partner and lets one rip! LOUD!. Then they are go into hysterics. WTF!?......:).......here these lovely ladies figured out a new trick, and it wasn't cafeteria food. They took some plastic tubing, placed one end under their armpit and blew thru it. ROFL!......So of course my partner and our lift assist crew HAD to do it also. OMG I never laughed so hard! And our sweet lady who we were picking up smiled for the first time in weeks! She needed the laugh also!
So to make a long story short, all during the trip to the drop off hospital, my partner HAD to perfect his technique. After he had it just right, we get to the floor and he walks up behind our favorite (very) stressed out nurse and BINGO!
She jumped! THEN she started to laugh.........mission accomplished! He made two very special people happier by just being a goof. That made our night, and for just a while I was able to forget. I wuv my partner, without him I'd be in tears. We make a good pair.

Stay safe, and give your love ones a big hug!

9 comments:

Stacy said...

fart noises are always fun

Epijunky said...

Your post brought a smile to my face because it reminds me of McHottie and myself.

God I miss that job.

JihadGene said...

Proof once again that the Chinese Ancients knew what they were talking about when Confucius said "Man who farts in church...sits in own pew".

Evil Transport Lady said...

Gene- ROFL!

Thanks folks:)

spacedlaw said...

That is a very sweet story (well the second part at least).
(via authorblog)

Murphy's Law said...

And I thought that we were bad with the super-soakers and the pails filled with water balloons in our city ambulances back in the day.

Mrs. "Smith" said...

You had me laughing so hard! I read this to Smith, his only comment was, "Damn"...of course he was grinning ear to ear.

Laura said...

Waaaay funny! Ya know, no matter how old ya get, you're never too old for fart jokes!!

Thanks for the giggles today...they came at a good time!

:o) Laura

Elizabeth McClung said...

Wow, the magical power of farts strikes again. I am glad to read this becuase I ALWAYS have the rumbles once they put me in the MRI tube - never fails, I'm miked, they want to know if I'm okay. Um....yeah, how long was this, 90 minutes? I am really happy to read a story of farts saving the day - one that SHOULD be in medical journals but I am guessing won't ("Farts as a transport positive measure")